If you’re a fashion junkie like myself, you pay attention to the trends. I try my best to stay away from things that are “too trendy” but I have to admit that I do like to play around with a few of them. Before I thought about writing a blog post, I tried to think some current trends.. and I couldn’t really think of anything! I feel like we’re kind of stuck in that transition period at the moment, so the trends aren’t really that noticeable.
That being said, I think this means that this is the perfect time to introduce the trends for SS17 (if you don’t already know them!) To be honest, this is a blog post but more so a “note-to-self” ha-ha. I want to come back to this during the Spring/Summer and see how much of these trends I’ve actually noticed in stores/ have incorporated into my wardrobe. Wouldn’t that be kind of neat? This is also great for you guys because I’m sharing the trends that I think you’ll see a lot of, but I also think these trends will be the most wearable during the season. There were definitely more trends than what I’m about to share, but I think these 5 are the ones you really need to know. This is just my opinion!
So I did some research and looked at what was seen during the SS17 Fashion Week(s) and I have to say that I loved it all (well most of it). I think the trends that I picked create the perfect guide to what you’ll need to know for the upcoming Spring/Summer season. Some of it was introduced a bit last year and is coming back in full force, and some of it is new too! Now let’s just get right into it! Here are 5 trends that you should know for next season:
L-R: Prada, Celine, Prada, Miu Miu
1. BRALETTES – Were you over them? I hope not! “The bralette” is making a comeback, guys! Instead of by itself and with something high-waisted. Bralettes next season are to be worn over button-up shirts or t-shirts/graphic Ts. Just think to layer with them! I’m excited because I definitely did this a few times last year and people thought I was crazy. Now I can wear this trend with a bit more confidence lol. If you’d like some inspiration for this trend, Miu Miu, Celine, and Prada demonstrated this trend beautifully in their SS17 runway shows.
L-R: Bottega Veneta, Balenciaga, Valentino, Bottega Veneta
2. PINK/FUCHSIA – Think PINK during the next season because you’re going to see A LOT of it! Fuchsia was probably the form of pink that was most seen on the runway for next season and I’m NOT complaining. I have fuchsia trousers that I love and will not be mad about wearing all Spring/Summer long. Some designers you can see for inspiration are: Bottega Veneta, Valentino, and Balenciaga. (I’m like, drooling over the Valentino cape-dress thing! Maybe a fuchsia coat/jacket is something I should look for..)
L-R: Alexander Wang, Jacquemus, Marques Almeida, Marques Almeida
3. DECONSTRUCTED SHIRTING/STATEMENT SLEEVES – Yeah, this is kind of an ambiguous category. This trend basically involves chopped sleeves, LONG sleeves, sleeves with slits, or shirts that have extra sleeves, collars, or cuffs. It’s an interesting trend, but definitely DIY-friendly! You literally could hack a thrifted button-up shirt and call it a day. OR you could take any button-up shirt and just button it up wrong and slide it off your shoulder! At least that’s how I’m interpreting it. Another way you could look at it is take any shirt that is oversized or off the shoulder and you’ll be good to go. If what I’m saying is not making any sense to you, look at Alexander Wang, Marques Almeida, and Jacquemus’ collections for SS17.
L-R: Gucci, Balenciaga, Celine, Saint Laurent
4. EIGHTIES/OVERSIZED SILHOUETTE – Think “power shoulders” and puffball sleeves. There isn’t really much else to say. The eighties kind of speaks for itself. All I can picture are suits with massive shoulders *shivers*. Not sure how well I’ll get along with this trend. I think “power shoulders” might not look as great on my teeny frame but I’ll give it a shot! Puffball sleeves will maybe work more for me? I guess we’ll have to see! Some designers that portrayed the eighties at its finest are: Saint Laurent, Gucci, Celine, and Balenciaga!
L-R: Dior, Rochas, Molly Goddard, Dries Van Noten
5. TULLE – Probably one of the trends I’m most excited for. I took ballet classes as a child and didn’t make it past the first class. My mom says I cried my eyes out because it was too hard. Sounds like me lol. When I learned about this trend, I thought this was PERFECT for “wannabe ballerinas” like myself. Tulle will be mostly seen in skirt form and from what I’ve read, it will be EVERYWHERE. I already see the trend making it’s way through some pieces we have at Topshop right now. (I’m guilty of already buying a skirt.. oops.) Check out Dior, Dries Van Noten, Rochas, and Molly Goddard for some inspo!
So there you have it! My Spring/Summer 2017 Trend Guide. I hope it is useful in some way to you! If you like this post, make sure to let me know in a comment below. I really enjoyed writing this one. It definitely took a bit more work, considering I had do a bit of research and look at a lot of photos, but I loved it! What I would love even more is if I could actually attend these fashion shows and report from there. Ah, the dream.. I think I might make a similar post for FW17, what do you think?
Thanks for reading! I hope you’re all having a great Tuesday so far!
Until next time,
- Tiny ❤