I’m pretty sad that I’m writing this post. Summer is coming to an end. It’s starting to get cooler outside and it’s time to go back to school. I’m not a student anymore but I can’t help but still feel sad. Am I the only one? Nothing really changes for me but I still feel like all the fun is ending! However, this post is not about getting mopey about the inevitable. I still have a few weeks left before Summer is officially over! And I mean, there’s still NYFW coming up and that’s something I’m really looking forward to. It’s on my bucket list to attend New York Fashion Week one day, or even just to be in close proximity of it all. Anyways, here’s everything I loved during the month of August! And happy September!
1. Making my own jewelry– I know I touched on this last month but I get compliments on them! Some people have even asked me to make them some so I thought I’d mention them again! Do you think this is just a Summer thing or can I wear them throughout the Fall and Winter as well? I’m still making a lot. I’m on the verge of buying a bunch more beads off Amazon in bulk, but I’m worried that I won’t touch them because I feel like they’re more of a Spring/Summer trend. How do I make them/what’s my inspiration? I honestly look at photos of jewelry on Instagram that I like and try to recreate them with a bit of my own personality. It’s been really fun! It’s kind of therapeutic in a way? I just like how it takes me out of my head. I feel like I’m a big over thinker. I get lost in my brain and sometimes you just need an escape, you know? It’s weird to say that mine is jewelry making but it is! You should try it!
2. Sally Hansen’s “Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear” nail polishes – A long freaking name. The bottles aren’t the cutest, let’s be honest. I was always a little apprehensive about this brand because it’s super cheap and the colour range isn’t all that great. Also, and don’t hate me, but the bottles just aren’t cute!!! Anyways, I must have not wanted to spend $15 on a new nail polish at the time but I really needed a new colour in my life. Do you ever get in nail polish ruts when all the colours you own just aren’t doing it for you? That’s where I was. The Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear line (Lord what a mouthful) was on sale for like $3 so I was like, “What the heck! Why not? If I don’t like it and it ends up sucking, then I only lost $3!” It turns out that these nail polishes are super underrated. Orange and yellow are the only primary colours that I can’t seem to find from Essie (my favourite brand). I wanted a true orange and a true yellow. Sally Hansen. She heard me. These colours were on full rotation for 4 weeks. If one wasn’t on my nails, it’d be on my toes and vice versa. The most recent addition is this fiery pink colour (the one in the middle) that I think looks great with my skin tone. Honestly, if you’re looking for something inexpensive and have a good topcoat, give these polishes a try!
3. Final Girls by Riley Sager – These next two favourites are books. I’ve talked about them already in individual blog posts so I won’t say too much about either of them. If you love books as much as I do, read my book reviews! I started reviewing books this month because I’ve finally got into a reading groove! I normally spend more time than I need to on a book but I think I finished each of these books in less than two weeks. I’m trying not to jinx my streak but I loved this book and the next book. I really hope to continue to find great reads to share! Final Girls by Riley Sager is a bit of a thriller. It’s full of suspense and crime. I said in my review that I can see this book being a movie in the near future. What do I know though. You should just know that you don’t ever want to be a Final Girl.
4. I Found You by Lisa Jewell – This is the last book I finished. I’ve recently moved onto “The Devil Wears Prada”. This is my FAVOURITE movie OF ALL TIME btw. How did I not know that there was a book?! I have to have forgotten. Anyways, I digress. I Found You was a great novel. It was also a thriller. There was also crime committed in this book. Maybe multiple crimes? It’s really similar to Final Girls! I’m starting to see a pattern here. I think I might be addicted to crime right now? Anyways, Lisa Jewell is a great storyteller. I really liked the way she wrote this book. I loved the suspense. If you want to know more, read my book review and let me know what you think!
5. BAGS – Okay, we know this is a forever favourite. My obsession with handbags is not a secret to anyone anymore. But this past month I’ve added more to my collection than I normally have. I first got my hands on this tote bag from Emily Oberg’s brand called “Sporty and Rich”. I love this big tote bag and I think I’m really getting my money’s worth already. I use it every day for work and it literally fits anything imaginable. I plan to use it as a carry-on or an overnight bag. I’ve used it to carry a blanket, books and snacks to the park. It’s just a great bag to have! It’s also in this green colour that I think is perfect. I like having coloured accessories because it brings more to an outfit. Yes, black does go with everything, but I don’t like it. It’s boring. I’m sorry if most of you disagree! This next bag is also far from boring. I think it looks like a bento box or a small lunch box. It’s so cute and I think it’s really different. At least I don’t have anything like it! It’s this turquoise/teal purse from work that I got when we launched our Summer Blowout sale! I had my eye on it since the moment we first received it in shipment. I couldn’t justify paying $50 for it because I was unsure about how much use I’d get out of it. It is pretty different after all. I got it for $20. The third bag that I loved during the month of August is this one that I thrifted and I think talked about briefly in a “What I Wore Last Week” post. I got it for $10 at a Value Village, and I think it was a huge steal. The quality of it is so good. It looks brand new and it looks like it could last a really long time. I love the 90s/Rachel Green vibes that it gives me, and I think this is going to go well with everything I plan on wearing during the Fall/Winter.
6. MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL – I uploaded 3 videos this month!!! That’s some kind of record for me. I had a video once a week for 3 weeks. If that’s not consistency, I don’t know what is ha-ha. I’m just super proud of how dedicated I was to making content last month and I want to continue to do it. I’ve hit a little road block though. All the videos that I have posted are vlogs (Cuba and my best friend’s birthday!) and I want different content. I don’t really have any exciting adventures to vlog right now so I need to mix it up! Do any of you have any video suggestions? I’m taking recommendations! Also, if you haven’t checked out my YouTube channel yet, please do! My editing skills are not the greatest but I’m learning and I’m excited to continue learning and create better content as I go along. Here’s a link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEKFutaYGS85uLg2lGLME7w
That’s it for my “August Favourites”! Comment below and tell me what you’re going to miss most about the Summer! Or tell me what you’re most excited for in the Fall!!
Until next time,
– Tiny ❤