There’s just something exciting and fun about sharing my favourite things with you. I think these posts have to be my *favourite*. I’m really glad I thought to start this up again for 2022. How about you? Do you like them as much as I do? I like them because they’re fun to look back on, and they’re great for referencing. Maybe in a couple of months from now I’ll look back and ask myself, “When did I get hooked on IKEA cookies? When did this obsession start?” And then I’ll go back to this post and know it was January!
I’ve got a little bit of everything to share with you today. There’s food, a bit of an apartment update, a show, books, and more! So let’s get into it, shall we?
1. My Bed – One of the fortunate things about having your old roommate move in with her boyfriend is that she no longer needs her bed, because they can share his. I bought her old bed off of her. When my mom and littlest sister came to visit, my mom cleaned the mattress for me and we bought fresh linens, pillows, etc.! Let me remind y’all that I had been sleeping on a twin bed that I’ve had since college, and I graduated from college approximately 6 years ago. I’m scared to do the math in case it’s been longer. Ugh, I’m all of a sudden feeling old. Anyways, I’ve been cramped in a twin bed for as long as I can remember. My roommate had a double bed so this is a complete upgrade for me. Sleeping in a full/double is a whole different lifestyle! I get excited to go to bed! Being 4’11”, I now have SO MUCH SPACE. And I bought some really good pillows from IKEA, too. It’s so cozy and I feel like a queen.
2. Insecure on Crave – My best friends Julie and Jericho had been talking about this show called “Insecure” for a couple of months now, and I had never really gotten around to it. I wasn’t committed to anything (aside from Euphoria and And Just Like That) this month, so I thought this was the perfect time to start it. I finished ALL 5 SEASONS in like, 2-3 weeks. The episodes aren’t very long but I honestly couldn’t be stopped. I loved this show so much. It was one of those shows where you were like, “Okay, just one more!” And by the time you were okay with taking a break, it was 2AM. These kinds of shows are always the best. I have to admit that I wasn’t impressed with the series finale because I feel like there were a lot of unanswered questions, but I guess that’s okay. Julie, Jericho and I are hoping there might be a movie in the making. If you haven’t heard of Insecure, I highly recommend it. Jericho kind of said it perfectly: “It’s exactly what I needed to watch as I’m going into my 30s.”
3. We The Free Soho Convertible Sling from Free People – Can backpacks be cool again? I always think of myself in high school when I think about wearing a backpack. I got this green leather one sent to me from Free People and it doesn’t look like your stereotypical backpack at all (which I kind of love/appreciate). I think if I’m ever going to wear a backpack, it has to look like a purse. The functionality of a backpack is probably incomparable. You can carry so much more and it’s all on your back. You also have your arms free to do as they please. I feel like this isn’t news because it isn’t. I just rediscovered backpacks and I’m loving it lol. I want another one that’s a bit bigger so I can fit my lunch and take it to work. Is this a sign that I’m getting older? Am I sliding into my “uncool” stage of life? It just seems more practical to be carrying one nice big leather backpack instead of a purse and a tote bag to work every day. A leather bag also lasts longer and looks better with age! Am I trying to justify another bag purchase? You betcha.
4. These Violent Delights Duet by Chloe Gong – My last blog post is a book review on these two novels so I won’t say much more about them. This duet is a retelling of Romeo and Juliet in Shanghai in the 1920s. It’s super interesting and original (which is surprising because it’s a retelling). Think Romeo and Juliette with a side of monsters? They’re the first two books Chloe Gong’s ever published, and they’re great! I recommend them. They’re definitely my favourite books that I read this month. If you like a little bit of mystery, romance, historical fiction, and fantasy, these are perfect for you.
5. Crochet (balaclava, miniskirt & scarf) – Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I crocheted quite a lot this past month. I’ve got my groove back! They were smaller projects because I find them a lot more rewarding. I like that instant gratification. If I crochet a sweater, it might take the entire month and I don’t know if I’m ready for that. This month I crocheted a balaclava, a miniskirt, and a skinny scarf. These are all pieces that I have had on my list of things that I want to crochet for a really long time. I’m so happy I finished them! The balaclava is probably the piece I’m most impressed by. I honestly can’t believe I made it. It could be because the yarn is so pretty. It was a Christmas gift and I now see how much of a difference the quality of your yarn can make. The miniskirt is something I’m dying to actually wear in public, but it’s been like -30 degrees outside so I don’t think that’s happening anytime soon. Miniskirts are going to be huge this year. *Micro* miniskirts are reemerging as well, and I don’t know how I feel about that. The skinny scarf that I made is something inspired by all these photos I saw on Instagram. Mine looks more handmade but I think I love it more because of that. It’s one of a kind! I love that I’m crocheting a lot again and I can’t wait to see what I make in February.
6. Cookies from IKEA – I never really gave IKEA’s food/snacks/whatever a thought because I was ignorant. They’re so cheap! How can they be any good? Boy, was I ever wrong. I got two sleeves of cookies from IKEA out of curiosity. I ended up trying to make them last for as long as I could, and now they’re gone and I’ve been dreaming of them since. I want more!!! I don’t drive so I don’t go often. Ever since the pandemic started, unnecessary bus or subway trips seem silly. Like, I only take the bus or subway to get to work or visit my boyfriend. Because of this I made a pact with my boyfriend that whenever one of us goes to IKEA (we both just recently got our own places), we have to pick up some cookies. They’re SO YUMMY. I got these Ginger Thins With Almonds & Biscuits With Almonds. I’m going to sound like an old lady but they taste BOMB with a cup of tea. I might be a grandmother at heart but these cookies are *chef’s kiss*, I kid you not. If you’re my friend and you’re reading this, please pick me up some IKEA cookies when you go? I’m obsessed!!! I think I have an obsessive personality and I have fully latched on to IKEA cookies. We’ll see how long this lasts until I’m sick of them lol.
7. Cooking (?!) – At the beginning of the year, or the beginning of this past month, I made a list of resolutions. Cooking was on that list and I am proud to say that I have stayed true to my word! I know that there are 11 months left to the year, so who knows how long I’ll be able to keep this up, but I’ve been COOKING! I’ve also been kind of baking? Who am I? If you know me, I hated cooking and baking. It seemed like a waste of time to me. I really felt like I could be doing so many other things than taking the time to make a nice meal for myself. It turns out that it’s nice to make a nice meal for yourself lol. I really like it and I find it rewarding knowing that I made it all by myself. I haven’t done anything extravagant but I’m making baby steps, and that’s a lot compared to where I was at last year. I made my first roast in my slow cooker, spaghetti and meatballs, chocolate cake in my rice cooker (yes, my rice cooker), and pancakes from scratch (I ran out of boxed pancake mix and had no other choice)! Like I said, nothing jaw-dropping. I’m ready to start branching out in February. I also catch myself looking at recipes for fun now??? Hello??? Again, maybe I’m getting old. She’s turning 29 this year and all these changes are happening! It’s only January and I’m not sure if I’m going to even recognize myself by December. Am I having an early mid-life crisis? Is this what this is?
Okay, so there you have it! That was everything I loved and enjoyed during the month of January. I really can’t complain much about 2022 so far. How about you? What did you love last month? Share with me some of your favourite things in the comment section!
I hope you’re all safe and doing well!
Until next time,
– Tiny ❤
Leave a Reply