Okay first, what do we think of the title here? “Tiny’s Trend Watch”? Is it too corny? I just wanted to make it clear that these are the trends that I can’t wait to wear out of all the Spring/Summer 2020 trends that I read up on. There were some that I probably wouldn’t even try wearing because I either a.) can’t pull it off because I’m too tiny or b.) think it’s a weird one! Here are some of the trends that I want to wear (whether or not I’ll have access to all of these trends, idk)!
- Crochet dresses – I really appreciate the look of a crochet dress. I haven’t quite stumbled upon one that would fit me but I am most definitely going to jump on the opportunity as soon as it presents itself. This is something I hope to thrift because I know it’s not something that’s not going to stick around for very long. However, I still really, really want one! I like the challenge it will give me to style it for everyday and not for the beach. What do you guys think of the crochet dress? Is it a waste of time and money?
- Neon/fluorescents – I thought I’d be saying that I’m over the whole neon trend, but I think it’s been around long enough that maybe I’ll find something that’s more my taste? I’m kinda doubtful. I was never really into this trend to begin with. I’m just not attracted to it and I can’t really explain why. But I don’t mind the trend as much because it’ll definitely “highlight” (no pun intended ha-ha) my Dominican tan! If I find a neon piece I actually like, I’ll go for it.
- Shorts suit – When I saw the first bits of the shorts suit last year I was like, “This is never going to work for me because it’s only going to make me look shorter.” The fact is that I didn’t have a sewing machine back then and now I do! I think I can definitely make this trend work for me now and I’m very excited to put my sewing machine to work! I love the way the shorts suit looks. I am very happy that it’s going to be a more expected trend this year. I tried looking for more options last year but they were hard to find! I bet a lot more will trickle into stores this year. I like how this shorts suit is kind of playful but still put-together. I like that it will make a suit more wearable in the Summer. I also like that I’ll be able to mix the suit pieces with other staples in my wardrobe to make summer high-low outfits! All in all, I think this Summer-friendly suit is genius!!!
- Bra tops – Goodbye crop tops and hello bra tops! If you thought crop tops were pretty short, you should see these guys! It’s basically wearing your bra with high-waisted bottoms. That’s the trend. I’m sure there will be bras of all shapes and forms though. I’m hoping to find something super unique! Or maybe since it’s such a tiny garment, I could make one! I’m curious to know what you think of this trend. Is it kind of dumb? Do our tops need to get shorter? Or is it cool because now we can wear a lot more big statement pants? I don’t know how I feel but I know that this will be one of the easiest trends to try this season!
- Tiered skirts & dresses – I’m pretty excited about this trend, I’m not gonna lie! I like the saloon vibe. I like the volume that the tiers give you. By tiers, I guess you can also consider them as ruffles because ruffles are also going to be huge! It’s so feminine! What I’m going to love most about styling tiered/ruffled skirts and dresses is contrasting them with edgier pieces. I’m thinking Doc Martens and chains to contradict the feminine aspect of the dress or skirt. Or you can just go all out and be the girliest girl you could ever be! I love it! I think this is very playful and fun, and what girl doesn’t love to twirl in a tiered/ruffled dress?
- 60s wallpaper prints – I love the 60s. I love the wide floral prints and the common colour schemes of the 60s (greens, blues, mustard yellows, oranges, etc.). Also, who doesn’t like anything retro? I would definitely like to pick up a blouse in a 60s wallpaper print. Maybe even pants? Oh, and for sure a dress! That will be so cute in the Summer! The print is loud so I understand how it could scare some people, but I’m ready to embrace it with open arms. For those of you that want to try the trend but don’t want to commit to a full piece, try something smaller, like a headband or a scarf!
- Feathers – I’ve been scared to try this trend but I think I’m ready! The only reason I’m kind of hesitant to go ahead and wear some feathers is the delicate nature of it. I just feel like feathers are super delicate and really hard to take care of. They also tend to shed easily and because of this, I really don’t want to drop a lot of money on a feathery piece. If I am going to partake in this trend this year, I will most definitely thrift it. I like how playful it is. I like how feminine it is. Are we seeing a playful and feminine theme for Spring lol?
- Waistcoats/vests – I would have to say that this is the trend I am the absolute MOST EXCITED for. I think this is a super cool trend and totally me. Vests! Waistcoats! Whatever ya wanna call ’em! I think these are cool and I remember seeing Blake Lively wear one when she was Serena in Gossip Girl! I used to think the way she added a vest to her school uniform was so chic. I definitely want to recreate/be Serena van dear Woodsen. But also, you have to see these inspiration photos below! I honestly think I’m going to have to pick up more than one waistcoat this season!!!
- Polka dots – I already know that I love polka dots and that I love wearing polka dots. This is an easy trend for me to accept and adapt to because I’ve already been doing it! Is this considered cheating? Or am I just ahead of the game? I mean, I’m sure a lot of you have worn polka dots in your life time. Polka dots are a classic print! I’m gonna admit that I’m strictly a black and white polka dot girl. I think this print in black and white makes it more sophisticated and polished. I like it worn that way. There’s nothing wrong with a coloured polka dot dress or skirt or whatever, I just think it comes across a little juvenile (this is just my opinion!). I think this is one of the trends I’m going to have the most fun with because I know I’ll have so many options to choose from. I’m so excited!
There you have it! These are the trends I’ll be watching throughout this upcoming Spring/Summer season! Be sure to follow me on Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube channel to see where I find my pieces and how I style them! I will have a vlog where I go thrifting for pieces for Spring up on YouTube really soon! I can’t wait to share it! I’ll also have an IGTV video on my Instagram of what I found (a thrift haul)! Lots of stuff to share and I’m so excited! I’ll be sure to link them here once they’re up!
Hope you’re having a great day!
Until next time,
– Tiny ❤