First, I want to apologize for falling off with my “Tiny In The Philippines” posts. Near the end of the trip I really just wanted to make the most of every moment and really be present with my family. I didn’t want to worry too much about keeping up with the posts. I still took notes/documented my entire trip though, so don’t worry! The details of the rest of my trip are coming soon! As soon as I got back to Canada, I experienced REAL jet-lag for the first time. I slept for almost an ENTIRE day. I have also been trying to get back on my feet at work, so please bear with me!! Black Friday is this week and I’m sure we all have an idea of how crazy that day can be for someone that works retail!
So yeah, the “Tiny In The Philippines” posts are still coming but I decided to take a break and share with you my favourites for the month of October. I know they’re a little late (I can’t believe we’re already mid-November) but here they are!
- The Philippines: I think this one is a no-brainer (I was there for half of the month after all). Going to my mom’s home country and meeting family that I have waited 25 years to meet is definitely an ALL-TIME “favourite”, and an experience I will never, ever forget! People keep asking me what my favourite part of the trip was and I can’t pick just one thing. Honestly! It was all so perfect and I really want to go back as soon as I can.
- Bershka: I can’t believe I had never heard of this brand/store before! I discovered Bershka while I was in the Philippines, and I think I went back to it THREE separate times! On three separate days!! It reminded me so much of TOPSHOP but it was slightly different. It wasn’t as loud and colourful as TOPSHOP but I was still obsessed. As soon as I set foot in this store, my family saw a whole other side of me. I think I went ROGUE or maybe I was just in my element (I am a Personal Shopper after all lol)? Here are all the pieces that I bought from Bershka (a reversible jacket, a plaid jumpsuit, plaid pants, and a cute new handbag!):
- Pearls, shells, and the ocean: I think I’ve talked about my love for the ocean. I really think I need to move somewhere close to the ocean and where it’s hot all year round. I brought back with me bracelets and anklets made out of shells. I got a necklace with a pearl pendant and pearl earrings. I kind of wish I got more pearls tbh.. but that’s just another reason to go back!
- Violet Evergarden: While I was in the Philippines I saw a lot of people talking about Violet Evergarden online. I’ve always been into anime (I used to read mangas ALL THE TIME – is this the same thing?) and when I saw so many people talking about this show and saying all these good things, I had to give it a shot. It had also been a while since I found an anime show that I wanted to keep watching ’til the very end. It’s also on Netflix so like, why not? It was so easy to watch and I pretty much blew through it. Again, I don’t really know how to explain what it’s about without fully giving it away. If you know me, I kind of suck at keeping things vague. Does that even make sense? I suck at keeping anything a surprise! It’s just better for you to find out about it yourself, trust me.
- Filipino food/snacks: I love snacking. I rather snack than have an actual meal. I love having an assortment of snacks with all different flavours. I don’t even know where to start because I have like a list of Filipino snacks that I ate while I was there, and I also brought some back with me! Ding Dong (mixed nuts), dried mango tamarind balls, Chiz Curls (basically a form of Cheetos). Curly Tops (chocolate) and Titay’s rosquillos (biscuits) are only a few on the list! I’m on the hunt for a Filipino foods store that has any of these snacks. If you know of one in Toronto, please hmu!
- Photography: If there’s one thing I love most about travelling, it’s taking pictures. There was so much to capture while I was away. The Philippines is freaking BEAUTIFUL. I recommend it to everyone. The people are so sweet and everything is as pretty as a picture. I brought my 35mm film camera, my Polaroid camera, and obvvv I took photos on my phone as well! I haven’t gotten the film developed yet but I’m really excited to see how they turn out! I’ve been searching online on Kijiji and other similar websites for an older film camera to play with. Again, if you know of one that is looking for a new home, let me know! Film cameras are so much fun to play around with! I think there’s nothing like taking photos on film!
- The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty: I finished this book during the first half of the month. I was a little sad that I didn’t have it to read during my trip because it was so good (and so addicting)!! This is by the author that wrote Big Little Lies and I’m tellin’ ya, it’s just as good. Maybe there will be show for this book too? Who knows! I just want to binge the rest of her books now!
- Essie Polish “Say It Ain’t Soho”: I was hunting for this nail polish for a good three weeks. I thought I had missed it, that it had been put out and completely sold out before I even had a chance. Luckily for me, my roommate came across it when she was shopping one day and she called me to let me know that she found it! She picked it up (because she’s obvvv the best) and I couldn’t be more thankful because I’m currently wearing this colour on my toes lol. I think I’ve been rotating between putting it on either my toes or my finger nails for the past month! It’s just so “Fall”, y’know? — and so pretty! My picture doesn’t do it justice! Trust me!
I thinnnkk those are all my favourites! I’ve already started working on my favourites for November so be ready for that! Next post with be “Tiny In The Philippines – Day 10”, and I’m hoping it will be up before the weekend :))
– Tiny ❤